Mall of America is celebrating its 25th anniversary in 2017. Make it a bucket-list destination.
The Mall, a top American tourist and vacation destination, opened in August of 1992 in located in Bloomington, Minnesota, just minutes from downtown Minneapolis and St. Paul and adjacent to the MSP International Airport.
Mall of America (MOA) is the largest shopping and entertainment complex in North America. It has more than 520 world-class retail stores and restaurants; Nickelodeon Universe, the nation's largest indoor family theme park featuring 27 rides; SEA LIFE Minnesota Aquarium; a 4D immersive flight adventure; Crayola Experience; Rainforest Café; Hard Rock Café; the nation's longest indoor zip line, and an 18-hole mini golf course.
The Mall is also home to a 500-room Radisson Blu hotel, a 342-room JW Marriott hotel; office tower; grand entrance and more.
Here are interesting facts on why Mall of America is so unique and should be on your bucket list of places to visit:
1. Walking distance around one level of Mall of America is 15 miles
2. 8 acres of skylights allow about 70% of the natural light to enter the Mall
3. 40 % of visitors to Mall of America are tourists
4. 9 Yankee Stadiums can fit inside the Mall
5. 43 Boeing 747s tould fit inside the Mall
6. 65 semi-trucks were needed to transport trees to the theme park to create the outdoor feel of an indoor park
7. Temperature inside Mall of America whether its spring, summer, winter or fall stays at 70 degrees
9.347 Statues of Liberty could lie inside the Mall
11.8,700 + weddings have been performed at Mall of America
13.30,000+ live plants are in Nickelodeon Universe® — plus 400 live trees climbing as high as 35 feet tall
15.40 million people visit annually which is more than the combined populations of North Dakota, South Dakota, Iowa...and Canada
Information courtesy of Mall of America. Photos from MOA, free sources, and Beverly Burmeier.